Turn a boxed chocolate cake mix and tub of chocolate frosting into these adorable Turkey Cupcakes! They are so easy and fun to make! Have the kids help you decorate them. Great dessert recipe for any Thanksgiving celebration or party!
These cute turkey cupcakes are all about fun! They are a stress-free, easy baking recipe that is perfect for the kiddos to help with.
With the holiday season gearing up, I am all about the easy recipes! These chocolate turkey cupcakes are just that and, I mean, they are so adorable. I always like to plan at least one fun baking activity with my kids for Thanksgiving and these cupcakes are always a hit!
And while your kids are munching on their cupcakes, they can be playing with this homemade Pumpkin Playdough. Talk about hours of entertainment!
Easy Thanksgiving Cupcakes
- We’re using chocolate cake mix and premade frosting!
- Once the cupcakes are baked they’re turned into turkeys with candy corn, pretzels, M&Ms, and cute little googly-eyes.
- I’m sharing step-by-step instructions so yours turn out perfectly.
I make and bake the cupcakes and then assist the kids with decorating them. I have all of the decorations ready to go and then they can all try piping frosting and placing the candy and pretzels to make the turkeys.
This recipe makes 24 cupcakes so there’s plenty to share! They’re great for potlucks or as a special dessert after the holiday meal. Sometimes we deliver a few to neighbors as a surprise.
Just be sure to keep a few for you!
This is such a fun project and my kids love helping with the decorations! They’re almost too cute to eat… almost. You are going to love them!
- Chocolate cake mix – choose a 15.25-oz box, any brand will work!
- Box ingredients to make the cupcakes – just follow the instructions on your cake mix.
- Chocolate frosting – you’ll need 16 ounces.
- Decorations – Pretzel rods, candy corn, brown M&Ms and candy eyes.
- Small bowls for holding the decorations
- Mixing bowl
- Cupcake pan
- White paper liners
- Piping bag & round piping tip
Make the cupcakes as instructed on the box. You should have 24 cupcakes total. Allow them to cool completely before decorating them.
How to Make Turkeys with Frosting
Fit the piping bag with the round tip and then fill it with chocolate frosting. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes starting wider at the bottom and narrowing as you pipe the layers. When you’re done the center should be the highest point.
Tail: Place two pretzel rods so they’re slightly overlapped where they meet at the bottom and sticking up in the shape of a “V”. Stick four candy corns tip-side-down in the frosting right in front of the pretzels.
Beak: Take one candy corn and place it on the front edge of the cupcake. The point should face forward so it looks like a beak.
Wings: Line three brown M&Ms on both sides of the cupcake for the wings.
Eyes: Gently press to eyes into the frosting just above the beak.
Tips and Tricks!
- If you have a favorite homemade cupcakes recipe or chocolate frosting recipe, feel free to use it!
- You can bake and cool the cupcakes a day ahead. Keep them tightly wrapped and then decorate them the next day. This helps if you’re short on time and can’t do the whole project on the same day.
- For less mess, place the piping bag in a tall glass and fold it over the rim of the glass. Add the frosting and then roll the edges up and twist them to close the bag. This makes it easy to fill it without getting frosting all over the bag.
- The cupcakes will keep for up to two days at room temperature. Or you can store them in the refrigerator for a few days longer.
Your family is going to love these easy turkey cupcakes! They’re just as fun to make as they are to eat – enjoy!
More Thanksgiving Activites for Kids
- Acorn Cookies are an easy no-bake treat you have to try!
- Play a round of Thanksgiving Bingo with the family!
- Or, check out my Thanksgiving Activities Round-Up for even more ideas.
Have fun making these cute Thanksgiving cupcakes!
If you take a picture and share them on Instagram make sure to #kidsactivityzone or tag us @kidsactivityzoneblog so we can see them!
- 15.25 oz box chocolate cake mix, plus ingredients called for on box
- 16 oz tub chocolate frosting
- Pretzel Rods, for decorating
- Candy corn, for decorating
- Brown M&Ms, for decorating
- Candy eyes, for decorating
- Make, bake and cool cake mix as directed on the box for 24 cupcakes. Cool cupcakes completely.
- Fill pastry bag fitted with a ½‘’ round tip with chocolate frosting. Then frost the cupcakes with chocolate frosting so the center is higher than the outside.
- Place 2 pretzels on the backside of the cupcake for the tail with the center of them slightly overlapping.
- Then arrange 4 candy pieces in front of the pretzels with the tips pointing down into the frosting for the tail.
- Place another candy corn on the front of the cupcake for the beak with the tip facing forward.
- Then place three brown M&M’s on each side for the wings.
- Finish the turkey cupcake by placing 2 candy eyes above the beak.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 180mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 1g