Grab your brown bag and make this adorable Brown Bear Paper Bag Craft! It’s the perfect craft to do while reading the book Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? With only a handful of supplies this craft is so easy and fun.
If you’ve never read Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr., you’re missing out! You’ve got to get this book and make this super fun brown bear paper bag craft to go with it. Teaching kids with visual representation has so many benefits. They’ll remember the story more, learn each of the animals mentioned in the book, and will retain more information.
So having them make the craft is even more successful! You can even make a brown bear paper plate craft with this paper bag craft too. Paper bag crafts are one of my favorite things because you can make so many different fun creations with them. We make a paper bag scarecrow every fall and a paper bag handprint bee craft is so fun to make in the spring.
Why You’ll Love this Brown Bear Paper Bag Craft
- It only takes 30 minutes to create this fun brown bear craft! A great craft activity if you have limited time, and you can save it to use at a later date too.
- Cutting, glueing and drawing are all great activities for young kids to work on fine motor skills. They get to make something really cool, all while working on critical skill development!
- This activity is fabulous for visual learners. You’ll keep their attention and teach them new things very easily when there’s something extra fun involved.
- Brown paper bag – You can find brown craft paper bags on the same aisle as plastic zip top bags.
- Large googly eyes – Use large googly eyes as part of the little face for your brown bear paper bag craft.
- Brown construction paper – If you do not have construction paper, you can also use brown cardstock.
- Small cup – I like to use a small cup to trace the circle shapes for the nose and ears for each bear. Feel free to freehand these if you prefer.
- Pencil – Any writing utensil will work, but I like using pencil so that I can erase if I mess up.
- Scissors – If you are working with young children, I recommend using safety scissors. That way, kids can cut out the shapes for their paper bag bear craft on their own.
- Black marker – Permanent markers and washable markers will both work. Use whichever you want!
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? – This adorable classic children’s book is always a hit.
- Animal toys – These are optional, but it’s really cool to have animal toys that match the story for sequencing and placing in order as the story is read.
How to Make this Brown Bear Paper Bag Craft
- Begin by using the bottom of a cup to trace three circles onto brown construction paper. Then use your scissors to cut them out.
- Flip the paper bag to where the flap is facing down and the opening of the bag is facing the top. Glue two of the circles to the top of the bag on the back side.
- Then color the middle of the ears with the black marker. Glue googly eyes onto the paper bag bear craft and then draw a nose and mouth on the third circle and glue it on.
- Open the brown bear paper bag puppet and place the small animal toys inside. As you’re reading the story, pull each animal out as they’re mentioned!
Can I customize my paper bag bear craft?
ALWAYS! Imagination and creativity are always encouraged and you can make this craft your own with whatever materials you want to use. You can add things like glitter glue, paint, stickers, rhinestones, craft pom poms, pipe cleaners, and so much more. I’d love to see the fun creations that you can come up with.
Pro Tips for the Best Brown Bear Paper Bag Craft
- Make sure you don’t put too much glue on the ears that could end up running. It will cause the bag to glue shut!
- Are you making this craft with a large group of children? Then use some glue dots for all of the decorations to avoid mess and make things go more smoothly.
- You can often find little figurines of these animals at the dollar store to fill the bag!
This brown bear paper bag craft is just such a fun addition to the already adorable brown bear story! I hope you have a blast during story time.
More Paper Bag Crafts You’ll Love!
- This Paper Bag Handprint Reindeer Craft is such a fun Christmas creation. A great activity for winter break when the kids are off of school.
- When spring time rolls around, make this cutie little Paper Bag Butterfly.
- Make this Paper Bag Bunny around Easter time for a fun spring time craft.
- A Turkey Paper Bag Craft is the cutest thing to make around Thanksgiving!
Brown Bear Paper Bag Craft
- Brown paper bag
- 2 large googly eyes
- Brown construction paper
- Small Cup
- Black marker
- Book: Brown Bear Brown Bear
- Animal toys that match the story for sequencing and placing in order as the story is read optional: paint the animals to match the colors in the story if desired. I did not do that for this craft, but you can if you want.
- Use the bottom of a cup to trace three circles. Cut out the circles.
- Turn the paper bag to where the flap is facing down and the opening of the bag is facing the top.
- Glue the two circles (ears) to the top of the bag on the back side. (Make sure you don’t put too much glue that could end up running which will cause the bag to glue shut!)
- Color in the middle of the ears with the black marker.
- Glue the googly eyes onto the paper bag.
- With the third brown circle, draw a nose and a mouth.
- Glue the circle underneath the eyes.
- Open the bag and place the small toys inside. As the child is reading the story, he/she can pull out the correct animal in order of the story and place the animal in front of him or her. (Note: the teacher isn’t included as a toy in the end.)