Making your own Homemade Playdough is so easy plus it’s cheap! The best is that it will last up to three months when it’s stored correctly. It only requires a few ingredients already in your pantry and is super soft and stretchy just like you want!
Playing with playdough is one of our favorite past times! Especially when it’s this homemade playdough that has the perfect soft and squishy consistency.
We love dying it different colors for the different seasons or holidays. Adding scent to it like peppermint for Christmas and glitter!
Grab the cookie cutters and create your own shapes! We love using these printable playdough mats too.
Why it’s the Best Playdough Recipe!
- It keeps for up to 3 months when stored correctly!
- You can make this homemade playdough for only a few dollars so it’s way more economical than store-bought!
- Soft and squishy but doesn’t stick or stain your fingers!
Ingredients Needed for Homemade Playdough
- All-purpose flour
- Cream of tartar
- Lukewarm water
- Vegetable oil – You could substitute coconut oil for the vegetable oil.
- Food Coloring – We recommend gel food coloring to get the best color.
Steps to Prepare
Combine Dry Ingredients – In a large pot combine flour, salt and cream of tartar. Stir until combined.
Add Wet Ingredients – Next add in the water and oil.
Cook – Over medium heat cook, stirring constantly. Stir continuously until the playdough has thickened and begins to form into a ball.
Remove from Heat – Take the saucepan off the burner and place the dough into a bowl. Let cool until you can touch. Then knead it until smooth.
Color – Now, it’s time to add your food coloring that you want. Divide the dough equally into the amount of different colors you’d like. Then place the dough balls into quart size resealable bags and drop about 5-6 colors of food coloring (we recommend gel food coloring for the most vibrant color) into the dough. Seal the bag and knead the dough until the color is evenly distributed. Add more color if you want it more vibrant.
Store – Store playdough wrapped in saran wrap then store in an airtight container.
If you take a picture and share them on Instagram make sure to #kidsactivityzone or tag us @kidsactivityzoneblog so we can see them!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup salt
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil (coconut oil works too)
- Food Coloring
- In a large pot combine flour, salt and cream of tartar. Stir until combined. Next add in the water and oil.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. Stir the playdough until it thickens and begins to form into a ball. Remove pot from heat. Place the dough into a bowl. Let cool until you can touch it.
- Knead it until smooth.
- Time to add the colors! Divide dough into the amount of colors you want. Place dough balls into quart size resealable bags.
- Drop about 5-6 colors of food coloring into the dough, seal the bag and knead the dough until the color is evenly distributed. Add more color if you want it more vibrant.
- Store play dough inside the bags to keep it soft for up to 3 months.
- If your playdough dries out a little just add a little oil first, then knead it into playdough with your hands. You can also knead in a little bit of water.
- Store playdough wrapped in saran wrap then store in an airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.