Turn a paper plate into an adorable Paper Plate Flag craft! This easy kids craft is perfect for Memorial Day and 4th of July. An easy Red, White and Blue craft that kids will have so much fun making this summer.
This paper plate flag craft is super easy to make and is the best DIY decor! If you are hosting a celebration for the fourth of July or Memorial Day, then you can include this fun craft time in your day. We love to make crafts and then make some sweet treats like 4th of July cake mix cookies.
I love this craft because it looks exactly like the patriotic bunting you can buy at the store, but I think handmade crafts are way better. The special memories that you can make while creating these decorations is worth more than the “perfect” pre-made bunting. I’d much rather make paper plate flags with giggles and laughs, wouldn’t you?
Why You’ll Love this Paper Plate Flag Craft
- It only takes 30 minutes to make this adorable paper plate flag! A great activity to add into your 4th of July or Memorial Day party plans.
- Cutting, painting, and glueing are all fabulous activities to work on fine motor skills, making this a really great craft for young children.
- This craft only requires affordable materials that you can buy in bulk. It would be an affordable craft for a large group to make together!
Supplies Needed for Paper Plate Flag Craft
- Paper plate – You don’t need to use an expensive and thick paper plate for this craft. One of those cheap bulk paper plates will work wonderfully!
- Craft paint – Use blue craft paint to make the base of this paper plate flag craft blue.
- Foam paintbrush – A foam paintbrush is the easiest tool to use to paint the paper plate. You could also use a regular craft paint brush if you prefer.
- Glitter cardstock – Cut glittery stars out of the cardstock! You don’t have to get the glitter kind, but it makes it look so much prettier.
- Star cookie cutter – If you don’t have a star cookie cutter, you can freehand the stars and then cut them out. And you can make 4th of July rice krispie treats with that star cookies cutter too!
- Pencil – Use a pencil or any other writing utensil to trace the stars onto the glitter card stock.
- Ruler – We used a standard ruler to measure for this project.
- Scissors – If you are making this paper plate flag craft with small children, consider using safety scissors.
- Glue – A school glue stick or craft glue will work great to attach the glitter stars to the blue paper plate.
- Stapler and staples – Use a stapler to attach the streamers to the bottom of the paper plate 4th of July craft.
- Crepe paper streamers – You can find these on the party aisle of your local Walmart, or at your local party store.
- Hole punch – Use a hole punch to punch a hole in the top of the plate to hang your flag craft.
- Twine – Twine, ribbon, string, or fishing line can all be using to hang you craft.
How to Make a Paper Plate Flag
- Begin by drawing a straight line across the middle of a paper plate with the ruler and pencil. Cut the plate in half along that line.
- Paint your paper plate half with blue paint, then set it aside to dry.
- While the paint dries, make your stars. Take your glitter card stock and trace multiple stars with the star cookie cutter and a pencil. Then, cut out all of the stars.
- Once the plate is completely dry, use the glue stick to glue the stars onto the paper plate in a random pattern.
- Cut 5 strips of streamers, 6 red and 4 white, then cut those in half. Then, using the stapler, staple them all onto the bottom straight edge of the paper plate, alternating colors.
- Lastly, poke a hole in the top of the plate and strand twine or string through it.
- Hang in a visible place and enjoy your cute decor!
Can I hang this paper plate flag craft outside?
As long as it isn’t too windy or raining, you can hang this super cute craft outside! It would be great decor for your 4th of July party. You can hang them one by one or attach multiple to a long strand of twine or ribbon to make a garland.
- To speed up the process of this craft, purchase paper plates that are already blue. You can find them in the party section of your local Walmart or order them online.
- Trace the star shapes on the back of the glitter cardstock so that you don’t have to fight the bumpy glitter to get a solid outline.
- If you have them, use glue dots instead of a glue stick and staples to attach the stars and streamers. You won’t have to wait for any glue to dry and the streamers won’t be showing staples!
Skip the store bought American flag banners and make your own with super simple craft supplies and a whole lot of fun!
More Patriotic Crafts You’ll Love
- Use some leftover paper plates to make this super cool Paper Plate Fork Fireworks craft.
- Don’t have any craft materials on hand? These 4th of July Activities Printables are a great activity to do.
- Make a Red White and Blue Tie Dye Shirt to wear to your patriotic festivities!
Paper Plate Flag
- First, let’s prepare our plate by cutting it in half.
- Take ½ of the paper paint and paint it blue. Allow the plate to dry for 10-15 minutes.
- While the plate is drying, use the cookie cutter to trace 5 stars onto the back of the glitter card stock and cut them out. Set aside.
- Next, cut your red and white crepe paper streamers into 12-inch sections. You will need 5 streamers. Set aside.
- Once the plate is dry, glue the glitter card stock stars onto the plate. Press to secure.
- Staple or glue the streamers across the bottom of the plate with alternating colors. Once secure, cut each streamer up the center to create flow.
- Punch a hole in the top and thread your twine through the hole to create a hanger.
- Now your paper plate flag is ready to fly!