A patriotic craft that’s easy for kids! This 4th of July Spin Art uses a salad spinner to paint a red, white and blue painting on a paper plate. Kids will have so much fun doing this 4th of July craft for kids.
How cute is this 4th of July spin art?! If you’re looking to make your own patriotic party decorations, then you’ll love this craft. Making this easy 4th of July craft is a great way to get the kids involved in the party planning. You can’t have a good 4th of July party without pretty decorations!
Making salad spinner art is really easy and you can use whatever colors and shapes you want! It’s a great activity for kids of all ages and they’ll have a blast running around your 4th of July party telling everyone that they made the decorations!
Why You’ll Love this 4th of July Spin Art
- A lot times, crafts sit around with no purpose after they are made. But this easy 4th of July craft is the perfect DIY decorations for a party, giving the craft a great purpose!
- Painting with a salad spinner is a great sensory activity and promotes imagination and creativity.
- This craft is very affordable and you can make a ton of plates. Perfect for a large group of children!
Supplies Needed to Make this Easy 4th of July Craft
- Small paper plates – The cheap, plain white, paper plates will work perfectly for this craft. Make sure you get plates that are small enough to fit inside your salad spinner.
- Salad spinner – Don’t worry, this craft won’t ruin your salad spinner! The paint from patriotic spin art can be easily washed out. However, if you’re worried about it you can check a thrift store for a used salad spinner.
- Paint – For the fourth of July, use red white and blue paint. For other holidays, you can change up the paint colors to match the theme you need.
- Glitter – This is optional, but of course glitter makes everything better!
- Freezer paper – Freezer paper is an easy and affordable option to protect your workspace, but you could also use craft paper or a disposable plastic tablecloth.
- Scissors and string – You’ll need scissors to cut the string or yarn that you use to strand the plates on and make a banner.
- Hole punch – If you don’t have a hole punch, you can use your scissors and poke a hole into the top of each plate.
How to Make 4th of July Spin Art
- Place freezer paper, craft paper, or a trash bag over your work surface to protect it from potential messes. Then, place the salad spinner on top of the paper and place a paper plate in the center of the spinner.
- Squeeze some paint in thin lines across the whole plate. Place the salad spinner lid on and secure it, then spin it.
- Once the paper plate has been covered in paint within the spinner, sprinkle glitter over the wet paint. Allow the paper plates to air dry for 1-2 hours, or speed up the process by using a hair dryer.
- Once each plate is completely dry, use a hole punch to make holes at the top of the plates. Strand each plate onto yarn or some type of string and tie each plate off at the hole.
- Use scissors to cut the end of the string to whatever length you want, and then hang up your DIY 4th of July banner.
Can I make this for other holidays?
Yes! You can change up the shape and color for any holiday you want:
- Valentine’s Day: a heart shaped paper plate and use red, pink and white paint
- St. Patrick’s Day: a 4 leaf clover design with different shades of green, white and gold paint
- Easter: Eggs or Bunny shapes and paint with pastel colors (light pink, light purple, light green, yellow)
- 4th of July: Stars shapes with red, white and blue paints
- Halloween: Pumpkin shapes with fall colors (orange, dark reds, browns, yellows)
- Thanksgiving: Turkey shape and fall paint colors
- Christmas: Trees, stars, or ornaments with reds, greens, and whites for paint
- Use glitter glue or sharpies to write themed holiday sayings on each spin art plate!
- Attach patriotic stickers to your 4th of July spin art for some extra pizzazz.
- Instead of making a banner, glue two paper plates together and fill it with rice or beans to make a super fun 4th of July noisemaker!
Have a blast making this fun salad spinner art! And get creative to make some for all of the other holidays!
More 4th of July Crafts and Activities
- This Paper Plate Fork Firework Craft is so simple, cute, and fun!
- Print out this 4th of July Activities packet for a really quick and easy activity.
- This adorable S’more Craft is exactly 4th of July themed, but goes perfectly with the cook-outs and picnics that happen around the holiday!
- Make your own patriotic outfit by learning How to Make a Red, White, and Blue Tie Dye Shirt.
- Small paper plates
- 3 Bottles of your favorite craft acrylic paint (Red, White and Blue)
- Freezer paper or trash bag (to keep work surface clean)
- Salad Spinner
- Glitter (optional)
- Hole Punch
- String/Jute cord (if you are making into a banner)
- Place freezer paper or trash bag on work surface to help with any mess. Place your salad spinner on the freezer paper and put the paper plate in the center of the spinner.
- Squeeze on desired amount of each color paint in thin lines randomly all over the plate.
- Place salad spinner lid on securely and use knob to spin.
- Once paper plate is covered in paint with your desired design, sprinkle glitter over paint while it’s still wet, this step is optional.
- Allow paper plate(s) to air dry for 1-2 hours or speed up the process by using a heat tool or hair dryer.
- Once paint is completely dry, use a hole punch to make holes at the top of the plate.
- String each plate with jute cording or another type of string, tying each plate off at the hole.
- Using scissors, cut the end of the cording to your desired length and hang up your 4th of July banner.
- For Valentine’s Day: a heart shaped paper-red, pink and white paint
- St. Patrick’s Day: a 4 leaf clover design-different shades of green, white and gold paint
- Easter: Eggs or Bunny shapes-Pastel colors (light pink, light purple, light green, yellow)
- 4th of July: Stars-Red, White and Blue
- Halloween: pumpkins-fall colors (orange, dark reds, browns, yellows)
- Thanksgiving: turkey shape-same fall colors
- Christmas: Trees, Stars, ornaments-reds, greens, and whites