Grab your popsicle sticks and make this quick and easy Star Popsicle Stick Ornaments. It’s the perfect activity for kids to keep busy with. Plus, you get a keepsake to hang on the tree!
Is your tree full of homemade ornaments that each have their own special memory? Now, you can add a new one! These easy Star Popsicle Ornaments are a fun Christmas craft that you can display for years to come.
Homemade ornaments are always fun to make especially when they are easy popsicle stick ornaments.
We always have a box of popsicle sticks, paint and pipe cleaners. That’s about all you need to make this quick and easy Christmas Ornament. Check out the step by step pictures and directions below to make it even easier!
- Craft sticks
- Acrylic paint – assorted color
- Shiny pipe cleaners – assorted colors
- Glue dots
You could also use hot glue to glue the star together, but we found it less messy to use the glue dots.
If you don’t have glue dots or hot glue you can use Elmer’s glue, but you will need to wait for it to dry, which takes a while after you glue the sticks together to form the star.
Paint Popsicle Sticks
The first step to this craft is to pick the color you want the ornament and paint one side of all the popsicle sticks.
After you have painted the popsicles sticks let them dry completely before you move onto gluing them together to form a star.
Glue Popsicle Sticks
Now, it’s time to make the star!
Follow the images (pictured above) to make a star and reference the instructions below.
Apply glue dots to the end of a popsicle stick. Adhere the end to the top of another popsicle stick, so it’s in the shape of an upside down V.
Apply another glue dot to the end of a 3rd craft stick and stick the top of the left V point. This craft stick should also go under the other side of the V.
Stick another craft stick to the other point.
And use the 5th craft stick to connect the 3rd and 4th ends.
It sounds more confusing than it is. Just reference the pictures above to form your star!
Paint the Dots
After that grab a paint brush and dot the star with white dots or color of your choice. Let the paint dry before you move onto the next step.
Decorate Star Ornament with Pipe Cleaner
Finish this cute popsicle stick ornament off with a pipe cleaner. We used a shiny pipe cleaner to make it more festive.
Simply wrap it around the back of a top popsicle stick and wrap and weave it around the the ornament, tucking the other end behind a popsicle stick.
You shouldn’t need to glue the pipe cleaner and instead just tuck it behind the popsicle sticks, but if you need to add a glue dot.
Make it an Ornament!
The final step is to attach the twine to the top of your star so you can hang it on your Christmas tree!
To do that cut a small strand of twine. Use a glue dot to adhere the twine to one of the tips of the star.
Now you have an adorable star personalized just the way you created it to hang on your Christmas tree for years to come.
Don’t forget to write your name or you child’s name on the back of the ornament and the year so you can look back on it and cherish the memory for years to come.
More Popsicle Stick Crafts!
- Cute or evil? Either way this Popsicle Stick Grinch is quick and easy to make!
- Does it get any cuter than a Popsicle Stick Gnome? This is a cute and easy Christmas craft made out of craft sticks.
If you take a picture and share them Instagram make sure to #kidsactivityzone or tag us @kidsactivityzoneblog so we can see them!
- Start by painting 5 craft sticks. Let the paint dry completely.
- Now, follow the images (pictured above) to make a star and reference the instructions below.
- Apply glue dots to the back end of a craft. Adhere the end to the top of another craft stick, so it’s in the shape of an upside down V.
- Apply another glue dot to the end of a 3rd craft stick and stick the top of the left V point. This craft stick should also go under the other side of the V.
- Stick another craft stick to the other point.
- And use the 5th craft stick to connect the 3rd and 4th ends.
- Next, use the end of a paintbrush to make dots all across the star. Let dry.
- Then, wrap a shiny pipe cleaner around the star.
- Pinch the ends around back of the star to secure.
- Finally, cut a small strand of twine.
- Use a glue dot to adhere the twine to one of the tips of the star.